Saturday, 12 February 2011

Character drawing

I really, really, REALLY struggle to draw people. On a good day, I can capture two expressions - the vacant gaze of the newly lobotomised, and a sort of paedophile smirk. 

I also really, really hate struggling with ANYTHING - I'm a born quitter. Why torture yourself when you can sip a bloody mary, and sing little songs under a tree? 

Anyway, so you can imagine the fun I've been having - muttering, chuntering and trying to grapple with the character sketches for my next book. (Which may or may not have something to do with Cinderella). I've scrumpled up a LOT of rubbishy drawings today. However, I finally managed to produce a character sketch I don't ALTOGETHER HATE. (This is a decided step in the right direction, and at least makes missing cocktails AND a run slightly worthwhile...*martyred expression**)


...This may or may not be a rough sketch of an ugly stepsister, for the book that may or may not have something to do with Cinderella.

** Have no idea what a martyr's expression actually looks like.

6 comments:

  1. My dad tries hard to be a martyr. Maybe I could send you a few pictures of him, if that would help ;)

    For what it’s worth, I may or may not like this drawing (actually, I do like it).

    I notice the change of name and am trying hard not to pry :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh yes it might help! I suspect I wouldn't be able to DRAW a martyred expression though...

    I'm glad you do in fact like the drawing. The silliness is due to the fact that I'm not sure I'm supposed to be showing ANYTHING from the book....

    The change in surname isn't anything romantic or interesting I'm afraid. Just family crap. I'm seriously thinking about changing my first name to 'Binky' too.

    How are you? Have you heard from Tids at all?

    F xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. And there was me thinking romance was in the air. Do, please, excuse my nosiness.

    No, I haven’t heard from Tids in ages. Have you? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope, haven't heard from her in a while :( Do hope she's ok.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your work Faye! (And the pink hair).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Catriona! You have awesome blusher :)

    ReplyDelete