Sunday, 6 February 2011

London


Well, I'm still a small, puddle of exhaustion after 3 manic days in London, but I thought I'd make myself a cup of tea and tell you all about it.

Those of you who know me will know that I've been talking about moving back to London FOREVER. I think that on some subconscious level, I felt that if I just wished for it hard enough it would suddenly...happen. (Which, incidentally, would be a far more convenient and stress-free way to move house - although personally I would draw the line at estate agents appearing out of lamps).  

Anyway, it dawned on me whilst I chatted away to my lucky, London friends (who all without exception want to move to the country). That if I wait for someone to invent wish-fulfilment teleportation, I might be waiting for a long time. So, it seems that I'm going to have to plump for doing it the hard, lacklustre, grimy REALITY sort of way. (And reality, as we all know, is something I find hard to cope with at the best of times). Anyway, I'm going to upload my CV to one of those things...those, 'proper jobs' sort of sites. Exciting, huh? I think that I can cope with part-time somethingorother, along with illustrating and writing books.

But I did have a lovely time in London, thanks for asking. I got to go to some of my favourite places and met some lovely people. The folk at HarperCollins were just super, and I got to chat about Big Fat Gypsy Weddings with my editor at Macmillan over a cup of tea.

AND (ta-da!) I was actually organised enough to take photos at the V & A, Pollock's Toy museum (which is surely the best forgotten museum in London?) and Kensington Palace, but couldn't take any at Fortnum and Mason's (though I did get myself some yummy macarons - which, frankly, I prefer). 

Lastly, I got to meet the fabulous Sheena Dempsey for the first time - do have a look at her work, because it's simply lovely!   

Next, I'm working away for a meeting at the beginning of March, and off to the fair at Bologna thanks to the lovely Rosie Brooks, with (hopefully) the very wonderful Cass Thomas. (SO excited!)






4 comments:

  1. Lovely to see you Faye, and gorgeous, haunting pics...

    Come and live in Letchworth: Town & Country combined (and the promise of endless cakes)

    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks James! Utterly splendid to see you too!

    I WAS thinking about Cambridge, as it's much more affordable than London. I've never been to Letchworth, but you realise of course that I'd be forever badgering you for cake/illustration advice/trips to the opera.

    F xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Letchworth is very nice. It's where I got The Bear from too. Only lovely cuddly things live there i.e. James and The Bear, so I would definitely give it a look. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a mental image of Letchworth now as just James and a bear, sitting in a field. Cute. Totally moving there. xxx

    ReplyDelete