Friday, 10 December 2010

Narnia at Fortnum & Mason


Well, unfortunately my phone is STILL useless *glares at her phone in disgust* so I STILL can't share my lovely photos from the Wychwood workshop at Newcastle City library. I have some little snippets of news though, so I thought I'd post anyway...

I've always been a bit dubious about Newcastle. I had the idea that it was the sort of place where tribes of savage children congregated outside innumerable 'Greggs', and were liable to stab you as you walked past. However, I now realise that in my ignorant and prejudiced (and habitually Southern) thinking, I was completely WRONG - it isn't like that at ALL. It's an austerely beautiful, wintery city - bustling and (at the moment) very christmassy. I'm converted, and completely love it. The workshop went so well (despite my nervous babbling) that they've asked me to go back for another workshop on the 15th of January. And I'm also at Gosforth library (no idea where that is) on the 11th of February.* 

Amongst trips further North, I've been regularly hopping on the train down to London. I'm working on my second book with Macmillan, and had a deadline for the second set of roughs on Wednesday. I think I got around 2 hours sleep on Tuesday night, and the midnight oil was definitely burnt out, but I managed to hand them in on time (hurrah!)

But what I really wanted to talk about was Narnia. It's been a very 'Narnia' sort of day. The snow that's covered everything for the past two weeks has started rapidly thawing, and I keep expecting Mr Tumnus to skip past, squeaking 'spring is here!'. I've recently aquired an imaginary pet Aslan (yes you did read that right - it's a long story). And today the Guardian wrote that The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe is the perfect yuletide book - something I absolutely agree with. One of my favourite childhood memories is watching the BBC adaptation of The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe - in which the beavers were human-sized in papier mache beaver outfits, and Aslan was a slow-moving mechnical puppet incapable of enunciating his words - sort of like a lion ventriloquist.

And then finally, to top my Narnia day off, I found these treasues lurking on someone else's blog - the christmas windows at Fortnum and Mason. She hated them, but I LOVE them..let me know what you think.
 




*Some friends came with me for the last workshop - I'd like to thank T, Charlie, and especially Heather for the facepainting! (Thanks too, to Vixx, Iain, Liam and Anthony for the conversation and company afterwards). But most of all, thanks are due to the absolutely FANTASTIC librarians at City library. You. Are. Awesome.

1 comment:

  1. Priceless window display photos at F&M. Almost magical the way they are so carefully arranged.

    ReplyDelete